Monday, April 6, 2009

I'm amped for Eurovision

So I'm pretty sure most of you are thinking, "wtf is Eurovision?" And believe me if you mentioned Eurovision 2 years ago I'd be in the same boat. Eurovision is a song contest the airs once a year. Each member country submits a song to be performed on live television and then casts votes for the other countries' songs to determine the most popular song in the competition. It is also exclusively only for European countries. And it's pretty much epic!

I've been really interested in Eurovision ever since I heard about it about a year or 2 ago. Mostly because I love contests that have a global feel. Like the Olympics and the World Cup. Well, I don't actually watch the World Cup but it's still global and still awesome.

I've been following this years Eurovision song contest for about 1 year or so now. Even though I'm from the US, I still follow it. Via youtube and BBC videos. I also plan and watching the contest as it's happening this year. There are so many awesome people on youtube that are going to be uploading all of the videos.

Since I'm so amped for Eurovision I thought I'd talk about my top ten favorite songs and who I think might win this year.

So here's my top ten from least favorite to favorite.

10. United Kingdom: Jade Ewen- It's My Time
9. Andorra: Susanne Georgi- La Teva Decisió
8. Lithuania: Sasha Son- Love
7. Turkey: Hadise- Düm Tek Tek
6. Germany: Alex Swings Oscar Sings- Miss Kiss Kiss Bang
5. Romaina: Elena- The Balkan Girls
4. Spain: Soraya- La Nocha Es Para MÍ
3. Azerbaijan: AySel & Arash- Always
2. Finland: Waldo's People- Lose Control
1. Noway: Alexander Rybak- Fairytale

There were so many great songs this year but I definitely think Norway will win. The song is just great! Jade from the UK is an amazing singer but there's nothing special about her song, it's very bland. I really love Germany's song, it's got that awesome swing feel. Lithuania is a very beautiful and contemporary song. But it will never win because it's not poppy enough. Which is unfair. And I hate to add Turkey to the list. The song is almost annoying and the lyrics are bad, but for some reason I just love the song.

Since Russia won the contest last year, this years contest will be held in Moscow. It will take place between May 12-16. If anyone cares here's the official Eurovision site.

0 comments: